Thursday, September 11, 2008

Free Gas Money!

This is a great tip I picked up from Everyday Cheapskate. While it involves giving up a little bit of convenience (which I can see being a deterrent for many of my friends), it's really no more complicated than clipping a coupon (at least the first part of it).

GAS SAVINGS. We have found a way to save money at the gas pump. It takes an extra step, but it's worth it to us. At Marathon gas stations in eastern states, you can buy a $50 gift card and they'll add $2 to it immediately for buying it. We do this in the store, buying it with a credit card that gives us 3 to 5 percent back on gas. Then we use the gift card to pay for our gas purchase. Having this gift card also classifies us as using "cash" and so we get the lower price when that is available too.
My parents were actually doing this for a while at Shell- the part about buying the gift card. I've found gas stations that will give you a discount on gas if you buy a car wash (which I would do anyways). It's a win-win!

1 comment:

Julie said...

We've gotten a BP visa for essentially the same reason. With the cash back bonus, it essentially saves us 5% on the cost at the pump. (If you're a new cardholder, you get 10%.) Of course, I must emphasize, that this is ONLY a money-saver if you pay your card off each month!